Thursday, October 19, 2023

Airlocks

Whilst pondering all that nitrogen we don't got, I have to consider when I'm ejecting gas right into space. Like: from a shuttle-launch. Most commonly from an airlock. Which LEO can afford because just toss nitrogen and oxygen up there with SpinLaunch (bro). A silicate-type rock at (say) L5 averaging a full AU from Earth, might not afford it.

My station might allow for some mitigation. The various stations and capsules we've launched into LEO are thin aluminum (mostly American) cans. My station has thirty meters of carbonaceous rock between breathability and - not. Fifteen if silicate. Apart from sheer volume, I also believe I can use carbon-dioxide where I need air-pressure differentials and don't need humans.

So far I've come up with the syringe. Say: 1.78 meter radius for 10 m2 floorspace, so 150-300 m3 volume. The chamber is filled with carbon-dioxide.

The button which calls the elevator (assuming American) pulls the cabin down from the surface. If the cabin is full of CO2 who cares, this just vents into the ambient station. The lads step into the airlock and its 2.5m ceiling: 25 m3, minus total volume of said lads. Airlock closes. The people suit up.

Cabin first equalises with the CO2 of the chamber. Cabin then rises. Cabin vents into space - but mostly it's just the CO2 venting out. Crew does the EVA, returns. CO2 is vented back into the chamber: in fact, it can be pure CO2 from dry-ice. Back down they go, venting that back into the station.

25 m3 2/3 nitrogen at 0.6 bar = 60 kPa is lost per EVA. I still don't love it.

But this can be made less lossy if the cabin atmosphere is pumped with CO2 both-ways.

BACKDATE 10/22

No comments:

Post a Comment