Saturday, January 27, 2024

Bejel

Something I missed this weekend was this thing about the New World's branches of syphiloid bacteria, the Treponematoses. I didn't know they had any. Apparently they had bejel.

This is not a V.D.; it has little relation to Old-World tropical yaws. Bejel is a skin condition of the dry parts of Africa and Spain.

Schünemann says: As we have not found any sexually transmitted syphilis in South America, the theory that Columbus brought syphilis to Europe seems to appear more improbable. Personally I dunno. I've been aware since Larry Gonick's History funnybooks that bacteria trade genetics; certainly they could do that in the same family.

I first must ask about bejel in Brasil before Year Zero Common Era. I wonder if sailors from northwest Africa brought the bejel over. Those randy Phoenicians!

As to the virulent venerea - that could be latest-fifteenth-century recombination. Which I've pinned on the Portuguese.

BAAACKDATE 1/30 this time my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment