Monday, July 8, 2019

Our side of the mithaq

Back in the late 1990s, some Chomskyite Zappa-fan entered a competition on topic of whether God existed or not. His tack was to run for the office. He conceded he'd already lost the competition on account of begging the question. But he laid out his platform, at least; and compared that with the Biblical god's platform. He didn't win the competition, and based on Trump's own secular election he sure didn't get himself elected to that more elevated position; but he did get himself interviewed on the radio. Got hisself linked on the Secular Web too.

I harbour no interest in running for such office (especially not now). But in that spirit, I propose a constituency, for any prospective deities over this universe. Assuming they want my vote.

And I am not begging the question as hard as he did. I already know that there are gods out in the multiverse (for the gamers: "astral plane", "limbo", "far realm"...), likely an infinity of gods. I also know that we're not infesting the body of any of them, dead or alive. The only options are that we're inhabiting some god's creation or else we're drifting in an amniotic (self-created) bubble. Either way, the gods are out there, on the outside. That discussion is settled.

What I want is a god worth the following. Some gods aren't worth it. Most gods aren't. I have read my Lovecraft as diligently as that other guy had read his Chomsky.

I request that the god keep his promises. Since he is Lawful, I don't demand that the god be infinitely wise and powerful; I know that is impossible, in a being of Law.

The god should, whether or not he created this universe of Law, at least respect its Lawful nature and intervene only to protect us. Mainly from Nyarlathotep, but also on occasion from our own most grievous mistakes.

The god should have some patience and mercy for us the humans. As a limited being (by Law), the god is capable of being flawed. I count mercy despite our deserts as a slight infusion of Chaos.

The god's doctrines should promote human life. They should, also, scale in accordance with humankind's ability to understand this universe. I expect that the god, as concerned with his own preservation, will not suffer a witch to live; "disgusting quislings" as I recall Lewis calling such. I can accept that; but, since we've already conceded the point, I request further exceptions to counter anti-human humans: exceptions for just-war and for lawful executions.

If the god didn't create this universe, I want one with at least so much sentimentality as to adopt it.

COMMENTARY 7/13: I'd had this in my mind for decades; only figured how to organise it all, this afternoon. So I'm backdating it to some day this week closer my other theologic musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment