Friday, December 20, 2019

Population movements in Europe

Sandra Rimmer (h/t hbdchick) offers a series of maps on male settlement through European history.

As you may know I am R-L21. My family was probably in the Severn area since the Bronze Age.

From 7000 AD, Rimmer (finally) points out a difference between R1a and R1b. R1b is more easterly - explaining the Tocharians. Still, if there was any linguistic difference between R1a and R1b; this never made it into the Indo-European protolanguage as of 3000 BC. Also, the I2a clade (to which Hitler belonged, I recall) is solidly a West European huntergatherer clade. I2a2a had a springback when the Germans moved out of their south Scandinavian refugium.

The Anglian bump in eastern England - which was Iceni once - already by 117 AD, they say, was I2a. I2a2 M284 specifically. This bunch also span Hadrian's Wall. But I2a2 was an ancient British lineage before that. Were they always Germannic? Maybe keeping in tune with their Danish and Frisian brethren by ocean? We do know that the Romans settled Belgians up there but their language would have been Latin. Until the local ladies beat it out of them...

R1b-S21 looks like Charlemagne's legacy, transmitted to lowland Britain by Normans and Angevins.

No comments:

Post a Comment