Sunday, December 1, 2019

I wanted to know

Here is a good NYT article about the 1990s fem-Morrissey, Alanis.

I wasn't ever a fan. Jagged Little Pill was her first shot at fame, and it did get my attention; but I wasn't enthused enough to buy an album which "best" songs, after all, I could hear on the radio. All. The. Time.

Of those songs, we can now all agree, "Ironic" sucked. Fortunately for Alanis - and why I'm bothering with this post - the article has informed me that Alanis isn't responsible for that dud.

Anyway I am glad to see that Alanis has done well for herself. Although Alanis wasn't my jam, like Jewel wasn't my jam (for female artists of that time I was more into Courtney Love and Shirley Manson), I could tell she was talented.

As for Cody Diablo also namechecked here: she's talented too, but evil. I assume Alanis is afflicted with similar evil.

It may be that performers have to have dark names; it may be that they are cored out inside and that performing on stage is how they fill themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment