Monday, February 10, 2020

Sulphur as coolant

Yesterday I mused on how to chill a hot mine. Last night I got called on a magic endothermic process I hadn't figured out - Monsieur Sadi Carnot was noted [pawn /PveK5]. I spent some time looking up chemical reactions but came to the conclusion that if somebody had already figured out how not to erect huge hideous cooling-towers, they'd have patented that notion by now.

Venus can, also, use a coolingtower. Said tower would contain pure melted sulphur.

AOP suggested sodium on that thread but I dismissed that as too reactive, especially at Venereal pressures and temperatures. Unfortunately the allotropes of sulphur at the 400s-500s C - 700ish K - are also reactive. So we will need nonreactive containers all 'round. Aluminium (which oxidises at the surface) does pretty well at holding back those pressurised cans of acid we call "Coca Cola".

Sulphur will boil at 717.8 K, in room pressure; fortunately Maxwell lets us post the tower up to 10 km altitude. This is about 650 K, well within the substance's limit. Where it's still 47 bars. If I insisted on going to Ishtar's plateau at 5 km it would be at 690 K and maybe 65 bars - but I get the feeling I should start higher, for now.

If a colony was any lower it would need something else - lead, maybe. If that becomes a thing then when we've collected enough heavy metals up here, we can trickle them down there.

Now I've got my liquid coolant, I can do all sorts of things downstream. Spinning steam-turbines from a nuclear reactor, for a start. The temperatures will be mighty... but so will be the pressures, so the setup should bear some impressively low alpha.

With that energy I can also compress some air elsewhere (further). I run the coolant over it (lead would faster conduct that heat off). I let the air expand to ambient 65 bar. This room is now cooler. That sulphur steam joins the other pipes to the dynamo turbine, recapturing the waste heat.

Per "Rodrigo Borgia" this whole upper level'll use vacuum tubes instead of semiconductors. Store them in the room which is compressing the air; it'll be lower pressure than other rooms around here (if at 800+ K). Just don't get the metals wet.

If I've cooled a room to 400 K, I can run liquid sulphur thence as a coolant to elsewhere; and I can use it here for whatever other industries as well. Using low-temp 400 K sulphur isn't much worse than using high-temp 350 K water, as far as simple electronics go.

There are some processes for which we need temperatures lower than 400 K. Maybe I want to use a decent computer. Maybe I want out of my spacesuit. That's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment