Friday, July 8, 2022

34 new brown dwarfs

Last month we had a yuuuge report on newly-discovered dwarf-companions, some of interest (to me anyway) as tight-orbit brown dwarfs so constraints upon Earthlike systems. Yesterday, we got thirty-four more! Pity the press-release was so bad . . .

Today I figured I'd, like, read the arXiv.

Time was, I'd have appreciated Table 1 giving us parsecs and not just parallax. Nowadays I can skip it. Anyway #26 "NSC J123900.73-005433.72 AB" aka "NSC J1239-0054" has the most parallax so is closest at, er, 42-3 pc. So they're like the Bonavita dwarfs in distance... pretty distant, indeed.

One numeric I hadn't seen before was Binding Energy, in 1041 erg; #33 here had the highest. Although I expect the Bonavita dwarfs all, er, dwarf that.

Table 5 delivers the goods: masses and separations. The main stars are all pretty small (Ks at best) and the dwarfs all orbit waaay out. The second-to-last one, #33 "NSC J2333-6347", has the least separation at 322 AU - which is getting into Planet Nine territory. Unless these orbits are obscenely eccentric, like almost literally phallic in width and length, I don't see them affecting inner planets at the least, especially since these systems are all K and M.

No comments:

Post a Comment