Thursday, July 28, 2022

Sacred Heart

Much as I'm unfamiliar with "Sacred Heart" veneration, I see some Orthodox claiming that it is "Nestorian" so anathema. More specifically it's naturalism, that any focus upon an animal body-part of the man Jesus inflicts a disrespect to Christ's Divinity. Pope Pius XII wrote a whole encyclical defending this veneration, Haurietis aquas: it's symbolic, only.

Pius IX had instituted the Sacred Heart as a feast a century before. I concede: I don't think much of Pius IX. Pius XII's own story is ... chequered.

But should this form of naturalism be dismissed, just because two flawed Popes supported it? I'd think that declaring this symbolic should be the end of the argument. At least as far as the Orthodox should be concerned, praying amongst icons as they do.

As for associating this with Mar Nestorios, well... you've come to the wrong blog for a harrumph against him.

BACKDATE 7/31

No comments:

Post a Comment