Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Zenobia 2015

I didn't go to Nederland Inferior in 2015; I went to IQSA in Atlanta instead (at risk of life and vehicle). Apparently the proceedings got published three years later - which nobody read, because it was in Dutch. Most of that, recently, is now translated to our language.

Seven years on we can ponder if this is all so dated. The reviewer David Woods disapproves the (English) title: most these essays are not, and never were, about Late Antique responses to the Arab conquests. In fairness back in 2018 they weren't about Mohammed en de Late Oudheid either.

Well, okay. I do see some Sura 30 in here. I've agreed to let the scholars just have this one, because I always suspected this one was early. Maybe even authentic to "Mohammed" . . . but, by that token, too difficult to interrogate for historicity.

I see some Motzki in here (zt''l); also van Bladel and al-Jallad. Although I suspect their essays have been floated in academia.edu since '15 or - worse - superceded by later work.

Of most interest to me is sura 16. Johan Weststeijn has thoughts about v. 67 in a Late Oudheid context. I admit - back in 2015 I don't know if I'd even dared sura 16 yet. I'm glad to have this article however belatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment