Sunday, October 9, 2022

I guess they fixed it

A few days ago we heard sad news about a helium leak preventing Intelsat's Galaxy-33/Galaxy-34 from launching up as planned. Today we're reading about jellyfish.

I gather that it launched, so anything else that goes wrong isn't on the Musk end.

As for the leak: I'd as soon they use something less cryogenic and rare than helium, like, oh, argon. I accept they'll probably still want something inert for coolant. Currently helium is in use as being best-rated for the kerosene reaction in a Merlin.

Raptor is on the methane so, I dunno. It's even burnier - that's the point, exhaust-velocity. They might need coolant MORE inert and COLDER. UPDATE 10/24 Relativity Space is methane too.

In a post-Heavy era is there a plan for a "Merlin 2"? Same sort of rocket, but argon-cooled so cheaper? Maybe this is the rocket best for a colder planet where argon is cheaper... like Mars.

No comments:

Post a Comment