Saturday, October 29, 2022

Miyake

I wrote up a project in 2019 about the Miyake Event of AD 775ish. I thought it had been recorded in an apocalyptic work by Walid bin Muslim, which survives as Nuaym bin Hammad's excerpts in the notorious Fitan. I assumed: solar-flare. Since midweek I've seen news articles that they are not flares.

I don't know what the solar-cycle looked like 663 BC, AD 775, or AD 993. But they're saying that the carbon-14 events don't match the cycles in any year. What is expected in a solar maximum is less carbon-14 because the Sun's increased output reduces cosmic rays. Flares of Carrington or Miyake magnitude would show up strongly here.

What seems more likely are events from interstellar space. This is what Robert Brakenridge has been discussing. I've been unkind to him on account I couldn't see a correlation between aurora and nova. But I may need to reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment