Thursday, November 12, 2020

Not so super

The university down in Boulder has on staff one Dr Robert Brakenridge. Here they are relaying his latest: "Solar system exposure to supernova γ radiation". doi 10.1017/S1473550420000348. It doesn't look good.

I was looking into Brakenridge's musings back in spring 2019, when they were “Causation of Late Quaternary Rapid-increase Radiocarbon Anomalies” on the arXiv. I even emailed the man, alerting him to Bernd Aschenbach and to Richard P Wade, and contrariwise to J Ming, on G266.2-1.2 "Vela Jr". Although I cannot yet read Brakenridge's article I can read its bibliography where these names do not appear. As mentioned I actually agree with Brakenridge (via Ming) on Vela Jr's date but he is not helping his own case by ignoring contrary literature.

Brakenridge's big claim remains Vela proper. That's 10790 BC, onset of Younger Dryas. My problem with that: Earthlings weren't writing stuff down. Not very verifiable.

Vela Jr at 2765 BP - 814 BC - does overlap preserved annals. Marduk-balāssu-iqbi in Babylon; soon ousted by Shamshi-Adad V from Assyria. Contemporary with Hazael in Damascus and Jehoahaz of the Bible. Also, f.w.i.w., the legends of Carthage on their own founding. I looked for a nova here (or aurora) but did not find one. You know where I did find a record was for the AD 775ish 14-carbon spike, which Brakenridge identifies with G190.9-2.2 (also G347.3-00.5 for the lighter AD 993). It's auroral. D'oh!

I should further add that his dates Brakenridge posts now are the same as the dates he posted before the IntCal20 came out. Which means he's not using IntCal20.

Overall, although I am leaving myself open to judging Brakenridge's "book by its cover", what I see from its cover is vexing.

No comments:

Post a Comment