Friday, November 6, 2020

Artemis

I'd say "Nimrata" but Mrs Haley has never given me the impression of being useful.... but anyway. 7000 BC, the huntress in the Andes. Via Saraceni.

It helped that this lady was hunting where there wasn't big game anymore. Potting a llama or deer isn't quite like wild boar or auroch. Still. Good job there, madam.

On the flipside I am not nearly as shocked and appalled as some men are purporting to be, in that article. Never mind The Hunger Games (I admit, I enjoyed it). Did females not have mounted light cavalry, among the Scythia? We've only known about them since Herodotus recorded the Massagetai. If they can peg a Persian soldier I am pretty sure they can do for an antelope. And there are deeper myths of Amazons and virgin huntress Artemis behind them.

That "virgin" thing is, I think, key. In muh hunter gatherer societies, be unsurprised if the women hunted too until they were married. It seems reasonable to me that a Mesolithic tribe had a Mesolithic understanding of genetics, which is that for good male hunters in the next generation you'd quite like to have good female hunters to help bear them. Once they'd proven decent at hunting (or, for Massagetai, murdering) they're eligible for decent hunter husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment