Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Sauropod brain

They modelled a Triassic brain, 233 Mya so at the point of the Carnian Pluvial Extinction. Buriolestes is sauropod of course; I do not think the therapod - the raptor - was yet afoot. And this is before lizardhip Pisanosaurus.

Neither was the mammal. So this comment is funny: Its sharp, curved teeth and claws would have ripped ... primitive mammals to shreds. I suppose it would, were there such animals then. The word you need is "prozostrodont". And our Buriolestes like his brontosaur offspring wasn't so bright. It mightn't have been able to catch one of our synapsidal ancestors. But whatever: I am not a Credentialed Sciencyologist, I'm just some dude who reads stuff and takes notes.

I will express some astonishment that the Triassic, for all my life the runt of the three Mesozoic siblings, has got to the point in our present day that they can model a sauropod's brain. I never would have seen this coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment