Tuesday, September 5, 2023

It's safe outside

Last weekend I mused that when a spinning Bennu is inhabited, it should start in stages, with the initial colonists moving to the top parts immediately. We should look into Coriolis - at its worst, which is the rotational-interior/upward vacuum-facing surface.

Since we are only getting started here I don't care if the centripetal forces are Marslike, even 1.625 m/s2 Lunalike for the crew. Also said crew just got off a zero G shuttle. That G should be enough to sift the larger rocks out, meanwhile.

I just need my fore/aft circumference to be, like, under half the wheel circumference. On assumption of a 400m-long trough (parabolic or not): let it be a fifth. That's a 2000m total circumference. This makes for a radius of, round up, 320m. That's a minimum, that my 400m might take up less than a fifth.

SpinCalc is still up! People out in spacesuits can moonwalk atop my rubble 320m 'neath the nexus, if I spin it ω=0.68 rpm.

Which is less than 1 rpm. No-one is throwing up in their suits unless, I guess, they look out at the wheeling stars. Under the soil they're golden - so far. As the settlers extend their circumference aftward, we loosen the rope to keep the fraction under a fifth; this only adds to the gravity and lowers their Coriolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment