Monday, September 18, 2023

NELL-1

Since the last hibernation post here, I'm just adding additional pieces: like the external lung. Here's another piece: the skeleton.

Personally I don't want my Belters taking hits from lowgrav and from radiation. That's why I've been looking into spinning up space habitats on the quick and on the cheap, for low populations. But the shuttle to my stations can't be as large as Bennu. And what if the shuttle misses? At some point someone is going to have to lounge around in a hammock.

Back to my habitat, which will be low gravity at first. All throughout there's the industry topside, and trips to check on the outer shell. The crew won't get the worst effects, but I expect at least bone to suffer for those crew who are EVA or just topside for too long.

They call the wonder molecule NELL-1. The trick is to create a smart "bisphosphonate" to deliver that to the bones rather than, say, to the carotid artery. And to make it last long enough to bind to the bone. It's been tested successfully on mice.

No comments:

Post a Comment