Saturday, February 3, 2024

A good Sierra fangame!

A pleasant surprise here: I downloaded Son Of Xenon last Sunday. I didn't have a car so I needed to do something... anyway. This Saturday afternoon, snowed in here, I finished this game.

The main critique I have involves the pixel-hunting "puzzles", especially toward the end. Also we must consider continuity. But if we get past all that, this was a fair game on an approximate level of difficulty and humour as the first game, to which SQ:SoX serves as prequel. And canon SQ had the exact problems I've noted here, including continuity as the games progress.

All this makes SQ:SoX better than several 1990s-era published Sierra outings, frankly. SQ6, KQ5, KQ7-8... lookin' at you.

The game is on GameJolt. I do not know much about them, be warned. Although the download was safe as far as I know; they only make you log in, if you want to make a comment / join the community (I wanted the former not the latter).

I am pondering the SQ3 fan remake next. Admittedly fan remakes' record is slightly chequered. "Tierra" (not called that anymore) did well with KQ1, yes. I do not approve the KQ2 remake. Also the SQ3 exe is on Dropbox; I don't know we want an account with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment