Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Donald Kagan pays his fare

Yale delivers Donald Kagan's eulogy. For historians, Kagan is best known for his work on the Pelopponesian War. The one book of his I read (the first few chapters of) was about Thucydides as revisionist-historian [UPDATE 2/2/22: now finished].

His son Robert is a "neocon" who opposed Trump; a McCain-Romney man. This apple did not roll from the tree: Donald, also, supported the Iraq intervention. In fact his support was touted by the neocon blogs over 2002 - influencing people like me, to my regret.

I cannot recall how Kagan applied the Pelopponesian War to American adventurism abroad. I recall that he did do so. Since his conclusion was wrong, I assume his argumentation was flawed.

All I can say here is, Donald Kagan goes to judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment