Friday, January 7, 2022

Fire and (now) ice

Last week I slipped out of town on holiday. That Thursday, the town burned.

The annoyances for me had actually started at 3:33 AM Wednesday when, contrary to the posted schedule, Supply Chain Issues (henceforth SCI) meant that the RTD Skyline driver decided he didn't need to get out of bed on a 15°F morning. So I had to run back home, calling a cab on the way. By 4:17 when I was supposed to be at the aeroport that cab didn't show either, so I drove to said aeroport, lodging my car at the economy lot west. That was about when the Yellow Cab called saying they were at my house. NGMI, as they say.

I spent a lot of last week worried I'd left my garage open like several other panicked residents would do... the following afternoon. The original hope was to stay until this coming Saturday but, for some reason, I really wanted to get back home as soon as possible.

As for the holiday itself, it was in Virginia just south of the Capital. Where 4 January happened. This was the day Excel Energy were coming to restore the gas at my house, but instead that storm snarled up outgoing flights. Another storm in Denver gobbled up the 5 January evening.

6 January, I managed a flight just before yet another storm hit the DC area. At Denver, SCI kept the aeroplanes in front of us from getting their jet fuel, so they clogged the gates such that we were all waiting on the tarmac. SCI then delayed any gate personnel to offload us when we (finally) taxied in. So that was ninety minutes, wasted.

At least I still had my car; I got home at 9 PM. Despite my house having two of Excel's tags on my door saying "HELP YOURSELF, LOOTERS" all was undamaged although the garage stinks of toxic ash from the fire literally surrounding the neighbourhood last week. Best of all, the boil-water order was lifted a few hours before I'd arrived. But since I got home at 9 PM, Excel did not send anybody here; they hoped they'd be working 'til 10 PM but... SCI, so there was no promise made.

I reckon I am out a considerable amount of cash for the parking fees, which - I think - RTD should be ponying up. The fire hasn't affected me directly, although the local businesses haven't cleaned their coffee makers yet. And the gym reöpens Monday. And the roads are packed with ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment