Tuesday, January 10, 2023

American Judaism's fatwa against Mel Gibson

Jonah Valdez on the LAT via Yahoo. Read it; it's fair.

There is a lot of talk about how war is politics by other means, with "terrorism" lying somewhere in-between. El Guapo says Santa Poco is no longer under his proteccion; violence ensues. Or maybe some of El Guapo's men just anonymously says something. What we have here is El Guapo endorsing what has happened, without directly mentioning the means by which it happened.

Blah blah blah not-all-jews blah blah I'm Jewish too (legally). You've been reading here; you get it.

I've spent some time on Islamic texts - not so much on whether they are violent, but more on where they are violent; and when, and on what occasions that might matter. (Actually to me their social "problematic" doesn't even matter. I am a late-antiquity historian at heart. I'm most interested in when and how the formative texts were written whatever their content.)

It seems clear to me that some Jewish texts prescribe violence when an example needs setting. And that the leadership of America's population of Jews applauds the results when the example is set.

I'd say Judaism needs a Reformation - but then, as a Christian (now), I'd say they already have had one, and rejected it. Probably the real reason the chief-priests and scribes hate Gibson so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment