Monday, April 17, 2023

Jaghbub no longer downloadable

Most of my documents are on the Jaghbub font because that's what the Y2k-era journals like Cambridge UK's ordered me to put them on. First I used the vanilla Jaghbub, mid-2000s; in 2010 I realised that JaghbUni was the best way to go, for PDF exports, and if I wanted some Arabic script in the same document.

I found myself on a different machine today so tried downloading that JaghbUni for that machine. Cambridge UK still says, just go to Bergen's org.uib.no/smi/ksv/Jaghbub.html bro. No. It's 404 or 403 across the board.

I don't think Jaghbub is downloadable anymore. Some seedy sites divert you to some even seedier sites. I shan't link them here.

Chicago is offering MEDOC. They claim this as the update to Jaghbub - altering only hamza and 'ayin. When did I ask for an altered hamza or 'ayin?

We could argue whether the Brave and Google search-engines are fit for purpose (Google used to be good); but - whatever Wall Street claims - I still don't find value in Bing, either.

I think we just have to accept that Link Rot happens and that Jaghbub is a dead font. Whatever. I have copies; I'll still use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment