I still have no intention of watching Nolan as, I hear, Emily Wilson isn't bothering. I am still checking out the reactions; Benjamin Shapiro seems to have a good one. He argues Nolan has written a Christian story, inasmuch as the theme is Odysseus' sense of that Christian emotion guilt. Nolan might deny this himself.
Rebbe Shapiro has some interest in this era, as he claims descent from those who skipped out of the House of Ra around then. This blog has noted the earlier Libyan attack on the House of Ptaḥ. That pharaoh Merne Ptaḥ noted Israel, in his own time. Israel wasn't around for the great naval run against Ramses III "1177 BC", but the Tribes will have to face the Philistine allophyles. Back to Shapiro, I'll circle, below.
The Romans, who like the Jews are not Greeks, unlike the Jews did inherit the Greek pantheon or something close-enough. So they produced something suitably Roman: the Aeneid. Virgil set out to retell Sack of Troy but from the Trojan point-of-view. Aeneid was so good, at least books 2/4/6 were, that we no longer actually own Sack of Troy. Theodore Nash points out that Virgil had good Greek predecessors for his concern for Troy's victims.
Shapiro's people own their own Aeneid - on land: the Exagog(u)e, in Egyptian Greek. Shapiro himself prefers the Haggadah but I doubt he is ignorant at least of The Prince of Egypt.
You know what Virgil and Ezekiel didn't do? They didn't rewrite Odysseus' story for their own. These shenanigans did sometimes happen then but Virgil and Ezekiel were too good for that. They found or inherited, respectively, their own protagonists. Nolan, I submit, should have written his own fanfic, as Virgil had done. It may be that Nolan can't.
I wonder if Nolan has created here something like Cameron's Avatar. Big money now; big noise now. Low cultural impact.
No comments:
Post a Comment