Over 2024 we got some competent AI-generated music. In 2025 we got hype, promises, and teasers done in various AI - we hear of "Sora" - for fullblown movies. I thought the trailer for the Narn i Hin Húrin was a standout, although in need of better editing. We are now in middle 2026.
Last Saturday I caught Oneiric, by Malik at Higgsfield. Up to then I suspect most of us were writing him off as a peddler of... hype, promises, and teasers. Oneiric, I concede, was advertised under a "goonbait" thumbnail; in 2016 we'd call it "malegaze". The actual video turns out to be legit. Watch it.
Interastrae is another author whose earlier stuff looked gooney. And his Alaran starts with the trope of the interstellar rogue crashlanding onto a jungle planet (jungle part of the planet anyway) with an athletic alien wench. Here too: it gets better. The second episode gets excellent.
Dark Fables is running Book of Shadows. We may or may not get to keep this one; it is set in Faerûn, like the Dungeons & Dragons movie a few years ago. Unlike Alaran, these episodes run shorter. But there are a lot of them by now.
My main suggestion is for improvements in the dialog, which can then be voiced by human actors. AI actors don't always rise to the occasion.
Apart from that, I get turned off of watching a scene when the characters blink from place to place on a set. Or, if the AI is smart enough not to do that: the camera doesn't need to be blinking around that set, because when it does it makes the audience think the characters aren't in continuity. A game author would say that this breaks mimesis. The videos I've linked keep that to a minimum.
No comments:
Post a Comment