Monday, April 19, 2021

The Book of Job

The Near-East and Egypt came up with various "hymns of the righteous sufferer". I had the notion since, I'd hazard, 1994 that the Book of Job was some post-Babylonian Jewish adaptation - a "take" on it, if you will. Couple years later I heard about how its story got SEPTUAGINTED, which happened in the west of course, so I moved more that its origins be in Babylon itself.

Being the Ashkenaz I am, I consider Job to belong to the Writings - not to be particularly canon. I just found that it enjoys more popularity among the Sepharad, who use it in Tisha' b'Av. They seem to consider it kin to the Psalms (but wouldn't Lamentations be better...?). But anyway.

I'm lately hearing rumblings that it's an antiStoic satire. If so, why wasn't it composed in Greek first and then taken to Hebrew? And there's no need for that, given the parallels in Iraq. And Job is hardly a Stoic, spending much time berating his LORD for letting ol' Stan screw with him so hard.

Seems more that Stoics meddled with the text in Alexandria thus creating that "patient Job" whom Saint James met.

No comments:

Post a Comment