Thursday, September 30, 2021

Bronze-Age perversions

Mike C against Myke C. Mike-with-I is fighting for the twitter-d00d "Bronze Age Pervert" who wrote Bronze Age Mindset; Myke-with-Y wrote The Bronze Lie, and earlier anti-Sparta poasts which I've reviewed (unfavourably, to the extent I'm not buying Myke's books).

To disclose here, I have no personal stake in any of these three poo-posters. I just care about history. I also care about facts, to which end the statement "The Bronze Lie mentions B.A.P. / B.A.M." is testable - thus. If you want to call me a "reply-guy" for that, then you are the reply-guy. Fetch that shinebox.

Three "Spartas" are at issue with these three commenters; and the Mike-with-I is stirring up crap between the other two, I suspect, based on a severe conflation of the Spartai.

I vaguely recall an acropolis in the Mycenaean / Achaean era; the land was better than 'twas in classical times, so the Greeks would have been retarded not to settle the place. Then - following the Dorian overthrow of the southern Peloponnese - came the Heroic / Archaic era. This is the era of Homer, admittedly an Ionian himself, but with much sympathy to the old pre-Doric Achaeans. Last was the Spartiate era which anyone decent should agree was a French-Dominique-tier evil, against the Dorians even more than against surviving Achaeans like those in Arcadia.

When B.A.P. touts the Bronze Age, he is touting Homer's Achaean ideal spiced up with better-sourced aristocratic régimes such as Dynasty XVIII in Egypt and the peak Hittites. It is a warrior aristocracy, yes. But it is an aristocracy over civilians, which civilians are not mistreated (beyond the expected squalor of a low-tech near-Neolithic subsistence economy). There is, like, a whole code of law under the Hittites. The Bronze Age was big on law-codes, often ensuring the protection of the yeoman against rapacious élites (yo, Mike Hudson!). Classical Sparta, as we all know, only had the law of brute force, and - forgetting the lessons of the Bronze Age - died of its own greed. And most casual B.A.P. readers, I think, understand the classical, post-Homeric age as Hesiod understood it: Iron Age (although bronze was still in use, as in contemporary China).

I repeat, I don't respect Myke Cole. Myke Cole strikes me as dumb enough not to notice the distinctions I've made above... but also as dumb enough I find unlikely that the man was even aware of B.A.P., much less Cerno. (Although anything is possible.) The best response to Myke Cole is not to read him. Trying to bait him into a battle with B.A.P. is just adding to the stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment