Monday, September 27, 2021

The first Irish

Some mind-blowing findings on R1b-L21 (I am R1b-L21, tho' I don't know subclade) in Ireland. Uriah / @crimkadid is bringing in linguistic support, from Peter Schrijver who I guess is Dutch.

A mass genetic bottleneck and reshuffle happened soon after 100 BC. It wasn't Romans... unless they spread a plague at some port or other. I recall various claims out and about the Romans posted some soldiers and an embassy in Eire, like we know they did in the Yemen; stopping short of calling that a "conquest". Drumanagh is implicated here (pdf). Some R1b-L21 clades won out; the rest did not.

At the end of it, Ireland got the Ogham script - all in Old Irish. It's the same Irish in the north as in the south, and recognisably the ancestor to the Irish (and Scottish) we get in the chronicles. All that stuff you see about the Irish kingdoms reflect the Christian kingdoms, after that (ignore the term "Dark Age" here plz).

Schrijver thought that Old Irish is very close to the Welsh / Cornish protolanguage. I am unsure I buy that, having tried to learn some Welsh in school and having at least peeked at what Irish looks like today. I mean, seriously; compare French with Latin and Portuguese. But maybe I am just looking at them all with the wrong eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment