Saturday, March 12, 2022

Isho'yahb of Hidyab to Maremmeh of Bet-Lapat

[Ishoʿyahb metropolitan letter #2]

Once upon a time when I was anxious for the cause of many doubts about what happened to you, divine providence was supplied with your gentleness in the rough road which God's grace had prepared for you. A short time later a more excellent message was imparted to me by my desire and every hope of my weakened prayer. For the people who love God wrote to me first, to whose ministry you were called, and then you wrote also; and the letter which had been written, strengthened the bearers, and many coming from there, who saw with their eyes the sense of the divine help accompanying your election, which touched them with their hands. And indeed, filled with joy, as it should be, on account of the fulfilled hope of my prayer, I thanked the kindness of God, who, in every generation, keeps to him the truth of his holy promise made to his church, among the rest of those who care to purify themselves. But with me I have joined in such joy the multitude of God-fearing people who are here.

When he will not come near me, to say so, whoever carries the letter, and he who brought yours to me will not come to me at his arrival, I have been waiting until now. Now, when the faithful God-loving Mar Subha had come to us, and informed me of all the glory of our Lord's help toward your piety, and of the manner in which the providence of the kindness of God lead you in this time of sickness of the world, he had said that you, due to your great wrath indeed burning against me, were unable to write to me. Now those who grow angry and boil over, they write too much and blame too much. But perhaps your anger has so far led you to refrain from writing, and in this way has left you neither boiling over nor writing. But I, when I was angry, wrote, and above all I write: when it was so pleasing to the mercy of our good Lord, that you were visited by him in proportion to your faith toward him, take care of your name, for this will remain with you; Whatever you have the ability to do, do it; Do your work carefully; The glory of your virtues fill your treasure; pour out your goods upon the people and on the people in abundance by the strength of our Lord's help. Send the hope of prayer to me even sooner, not as usual, but as much as I am sorry. For the affairs of the brotherhood which are with me are weak; paternity also lowered itself to cowardice, and Satan could bring about an intimate division among those who by name are called directors of the church of God. For they have all been taught, behaved themselves wisely, and have been perfected in spiritual charity. I alone am without this perfection. If God will not have pity, the common affairs will be in danger, not only in what they are already supposed to be, but also in the life of faith itself. It is necessary indeed, that he who begins from evil begins to end in complete evil. Pray, then, brother, that the commotion which began sharply, may the divine nod sit without loss and without disturbance to the church of God, and may it be done for us by the grace of our Lord's mercy, that we may meet one another in the peace of the world and in the salvation of the holy church. Once again, pray for me also that I will spend the rest of my life pleasing the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment