Friday, March 18, 2022

Ishoyahb to Mar Sergius

[Metropolitan Ishoʿyahb letter #20]

To the honored and most distinguished and devout priest, the beloved of our Lord, Mar Sergius the bishop. Ishoʿyahb of Hidyab: in our Lord, greetings.

Ungrateful, I think, to be said are those who are reputed to show themselves toward a great debt of abundance of spiritual charity with a small recompense. Therefore I myself, O lover of God, who in a short time received, possessed, and preserved the abundance of your Holiness's love, could scarcely have hitherto met with a few lines of greeting to Your Holiness during the long days, when I thought that nothing could be worthy of a fitting recompense to your Holiness’ charity. But it is good for him who has a debt and is in need, so that he always goes to meet the humble lender by greeting them.

Take, then, our brother, a small interest in your charity toward me, namely this salutation, which is the first, I think, by which I tell you that our Catholic Father is very successful in honoring the Church of God according to your prayers. We too, all delighted with the abundance of God's auxiliaries toward us, praise the providence poured out upon us with the joy of our heart. May your Holiness rejoice in the peace of the Church. Pray that we may be saved forever, according to the promise of our Lord. Pray also for my humility, that I may spend the rest of my days in life pleasing to the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment