Thursday, March 7, 2024

HDMI considered harmful

I'm still on this elderly laptop with outdated USB support. So I am stuck with HDMI for a bigscreen (and I only get one). If I were to spring for a new machine, it is looking like I should do without HDMI entirely. HDMI charge royalties, are not open-source, and now the HDMI Forum is saying open-source have to pay up.

Linux... can't. That's not how any of this works. So AMD, who do Linux (of their own) aren't supporting it. Because HDMI Forum won't let them.

USB to its credit is using DisplayPort which actually is open source.

I worry a bit that I can't override this thing with a Linux distro but, maybe I don't have to. If we get to the point I'm buying a new box then I'll just be toting the old one on-the-road anyway.

UPDATE 4/5: Oh, and HDMI is an "ad" injection vector. I assume they can send HTML and script so - perfect for hackers' wateringhole attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment