Saturday, November 2, 2019

The Nuaym bin Hammad aurora, revisited

I've been consulting with an astrophysicist on that aurora. I have made some important digressions as a result (here).

First, I now think the comet which Kronk 1999 notes for 776 must be the same phenomenon as the "vapor" noted elsewhere. That vapor is currently agreed auroral. That would render Kronk's 776 a pseudocomet.

Second, it was brought to my attention that I'd confused the issue when I brought Nu'aym #596 to the table. So I am hereby kicking it off the table. I looked up the poltroon who transmitted the hadith to Nu'aym, one 'Abd Allah bin Marwan, and found his accounts... consistent. Consistent with a 200/815ish forger. We don't need him for the 770s.

I am still not nearly done with the project but I wanted to put up a placeholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment