Friday, March 19, 2021

Compartments

Last month this site pondered spinning molten power for the Tory IV.

The idea was to keep the heat evenly distributed around the jet even if the power-supply was superheated such that it would liquify, thus sinking to the bottom in a constantly-moving aircraft. My idea (which, yea, I stole) was to rotate the metal. But that spinning fan will steal energy from the jet. It occurs to me tonight that I could mitigate the rotation if I compartmentalised the heated metals. Say, into thirds.

Now I have a new problem. Each compartment's wall needs not to melt, itself. So the compartments are probably some dense ceramic. That will, I think, keep the neutrons and all the other stuff from inter-reacting across compartments. It will depend on how fast the neutrons are going, I'm sure; but if a neutron is too fast for a ceramic wall it's also too fast for the next compartment over. Critical mass no longer critical, no longer melted.

I wasn't on the Tory II (or III) team so I don't know what they had in mind for the metals. But I can guess: PLUTOnium (239). They wanted lower critical-masses, and that's 10 kg. Curium, at 7 kg, is better but, I think, pricier.

Californium-252 (2.73 kg) might be the best substance to ensure liquid heat at the same time I've assigned it into compartments to keep it distributed.

UPDATE 7/27: Yeah, I know, this whole idea was completely dumb; thought-experiments usually are. Good thing this is a blog and not a university thesis. Tho': now I am pondering vapour Pluto...

No comments:

Post a Comment