Sunday, March 21, 2021

Progress update

My job today was to follow Russell-Ocampo such as to wean myself off McConaghy. Aphelia, turnratios and (especially) vs look okay. For h=0.

I'll pause to complain about the algorithm. This is a 3-D loop on p, h, s to calculate time-of-flight. ToF is (S * p - h / 2.0) / s, where S is 15/7 for Earth-to-Mars. If ToF is negative, skip it. If not, carry on to collect that array of vectors on i.

Russell and Ocampo claim they are looping h from 1 to arbitrary hmax. h needs to start at zero, and to max out at 2*S*p. I know they were doing the former because those results are in their tables. C'mon, men! Likewise, s is never more than p.

I'd add other skip-conditions: like the degenerate "solutions" for Earth-Mars VISIT or, for Venus-Earth, Hohmann. Once we get into the -i part of p-h-s-i, I'd start i's count from s since s is never ever more than i.

I am doing h in {1,2,3} next. Here my results aren't as consistent as I'd like. The vital statistics noted above are okay but I'm concerned about the angles-plural of approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment