Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Upload #200: laying the table

It's been over a year; and we're at the bicentennial mark. But I haven't forgotten this project!

The first issue here is that Google forced its websites to follow a different format. I'll get around to finetuning all that as the weeks go by and I figure out, say, how to get HTML working again.

I spent much of last year, off and on, figuring out sura 45: only 37 verses, or maybe 38 or 39. Either way you slice it, or add a verse to it if you're Ibn Mas'ud, it's not much to go on, for linking with other suwar. Some while ago I figured out that it used sura 25 and was parallel to sura 27. (And to 85.) So what I've done, at last, is to strip out MUCH unnecessary content and to figure out where it sits with respect to 27 and 85. I now think it precedes both. That's an edit to "Days of Allah" and to "Hell's Ditch", also "What Waits Behind These Roads" for sura 34.

I've been tweaking "The Rebel’s Wind" whilst we're at it. And "God’s Path Leads through the Caliph". Just because those were more recent and needed the love.

And because centennial, I felt I needed a new project. You've seen I've been interested in John of Damascus' hits against the Quran. Honestly, I wasn't trying to misdirect you. But I couldn't prove to myself, let alone to you, that John was using any version of sura 4 other than the version of the mufassirûn. John's take(s) on the fifth sura - I think - showed more promise. So: "Jesus’ Arraignment". Not part of the Table sura, at least not at first.

Madrassa.

No comments:

Post a Comment