Saturday, July 3, 2021

More scholia upon the great northwest

I went to the gym and back, giving me more time to think about Nu-Pallembor. Actually I'd gone to the gym and back twice: I failed in my duty as Gentleman Explorer and left my water-bottle at home, first time . . .

To give my seminomads a place to go when that prairie ain't safe, the more-or-less permanent denizens have winter quarters. A strip of sheltered land along the south would get the job done. This land is mostly barren so, like the prairie, is unfit for a large population; but for the off-season, there is at least a lot of stone and clay (and water), so can be used to store supplies. Also where bamboo grows, so do cereals. One should think.

Here and there are badlands, which can provide shelter from the off-season, although not scalable to house all the seminomads here. Here are monasteries consecrated mostly to Vekik the runelord. Some are grynloc; others are lir and mojh.

One adventure-idea, for high-level adventurers: a great salt flat à la the Dasht-e Lut. I said there weren't permanent cities here. Suppose... there used to be? There was once upon a LONG time, an Aral Sea expie, and a Choresmia civilisation to go with it, but it has dried out. This land can be filled with undead now, mostly [para-]mummies. Since it is of The Dark, decent caravans do not truck with them - but the rhodin might. The Diamond Throne sort-of has this theme already, I admit, in Verdune; except that, here, the Dark is king and there is nobody who even dares push back on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment