Friday, May 12, 2023

Between Europa and Ganymede

Remember last December, when I was figuring out Laplace? Now it's a project: "A station between Europa and Ganymede".

At some point over the colder months I cobbled those pages into a Word document. That document was... bad. I hardly knew what to do with the orbit, on account - still - only the science-fiction aspect of "the Jovian internet" came to mind. The project didn't exceed three pages and there it stuck. Last Sunday I organised that mess into a more-formal project on that JOVINet, more like five pages. Still wasn't worthy of poasting anywhere.

But then on Wednesday, I stumbled onto pressreleases about the Europa Clipper scheduled 2024. It sunk in that... the Laplacian could be useful now, as alternative to the long flyby orbit which JPL/NASA have chosen. Upon rearranging the project I exiled the core of the old JOVINet introduction into the coda. (No I'm not using the word "JOVINet" in the paper.)

Early Thursday morning before work I wrote that software to deliver a visual chart. I also needed how to inject something like this from Earth, not from Ganymede. So I found Alvidres' early-1990s proposal. Today I considered line-of-sight and possibly multiple probes on Europa's and Ganymede's surfaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment