Sunday, November 5, 2023

Professionals study thermodynamics

The Stanford Torus, of 10000 souls, requires power and keeps 10000 souls from contracting fevers. In short, the Torus generates heat. A lot of heat. Which Stanford needs radiate away.

Martelaro assumes a full torus 900m radius-from-fulcrum and rotating 1 rpm; slinging a 430m-diameter tube around. I think we can start with a lower rpm and a shorter r-f-f, if I feed my d00dz calcium (maybe strontium). And I'm more into a shallow parabola. But I'll gladly work longer-term to belay the ropes for 900m. I need to do that anyway to reduce Coriolis, terraform gravity, and increase living-space without losing balance.

Still: I won't need the whole circuit. Will I really need 30MW of electricity use, and 66MW of raw solar for agriculture, and 35MW for illumination and heating? My dumbbell will use only a tenth of Stanford's volume for, of course, much fewer people. I don't demand a tenth of all the above power. So... I'll radiate 13.1MW - pessimistically. Martelaro reckoned 941000 m2. Radiation works by W/m2 so - I need 94100. At very most, I think.

This monster is symmetric so, first divide them into two 47000 m2 sections. Where to put 'em next? I've scheduled the inner, fulcrum-facing curve for industry and recycling; outside curve, for massdriving and trade. So those two radiators - fins - need to go on each side of the parabola. I'd bias them on the inner/upper parts just because the radiator-fluid will rise in heat. Good news: the longer I can stretch my parabola fore-to-aft (if energy reqs stay the same), the narrower I can allow for my radiating fins. In practice I'll divide them further and scatter them in various angles so I don't have to gimbal them as the station rotates. And I won't need near the full 94100 m2 until after I've hollowed out the whole rockpile and put a thousand d00dz in there.

I wonder meanwhile if radiators could be used as (crude!) ice-detectors. Where heat is not leaving the station, that implies the heat is melting something the colonists haven't found yet. The lowest layer stands to get a bit, er, muddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment