Thursday, November 11, 2021

Dustposting, II

Armistice Day, day off. Used to be that only veterans got a day off but, now, they don't matter as much as Protected Groups, so - day off for my civilian self too. Carry on, citizen!

Following up on watching these, I've now seen some of the longer ones: "Atropa" three/two nights back, which was basic-bitch timeloop Trek; and "The Big Nothing" last night, which was more Outland (but better, if possible).

I suppose that timeloop dodge was how "Atropa" got away with the Magick Gravity Floor. I won't allow that excuse for "TBN" which is set in Saturn's rings that is, supposedly Hard SF. The rings also look ... pretty near to the ship. I don't think they are this close together normally but, maybe that's the vein of (neodynium) ore they picked.

Also on deck that 9 November night were some Biblical expies: "Pulsar" (Jonah) and "Anomaly" (Matthew / Luke). Both were inept and bad. "CARONTE" was arguably not sci-fi at all being a Terabithia expy although, it was good, so I don't regret watching that one. "Outpost" was a passable love story; "Beachworld" was a passable adaptation of Stephen King's not-so-classic short.

Yeah I have to say, my second night's selections weren't nearly up to the par of my first night where I went 4/4 (unless you count two eps of "Atropa").

With one major exception: "Happy Hunting", a sendup of Youtube Influencer / gamer chic. "Sky Fighter" might be a minor exception as a mindf0rq (thought it was going to be an Ender's Game at first; maybe that's the aesthetic it was going for).

Last night, besides "TBN": "Eden" was just terrible, "Zoe" was stupid and maudlin, and "Origin" was incomplete. "New Mars" isn't good enough for me not to spoil it: pandemic-Karen parable with "All Summer In A Day" in its DNA. "The Looking Planet" is a passable Magrathean creation-story. "Star Dogs" is hit-or-miss Red Dwarf Firefly.

"Final Offer", also channelling Hitchhiker's Guide, is hilarious.

"The Leap" looks promising [UPDATE PM: so I watched it this day].

No comments:

Post a Comment