Monday, February 6, 2023

Laptop is back (again)

Thirteen days later, I have the Lenovo again. Last August they claimed it was the battery; this time they claimed the motherboard. Replaced each time. A regular laptop of Theseus, here.

This time Lenovo didn't charge me. So, that's good...

I did end up in another cycle of Windows, AMD, and other updates but it is working.

Meanwhile somewhere along the way a company called "Brother" had installed some 32-bit printer-software on this thing; BrUSBSIB.sys from 2014 ("oem86.inf") but last updated October(?). Also BrUSBSLB.sys. I guess because this is a 2021 machine whose previous owner used a Brother printer on Windows 10.

Brother are a legit company so, YOLO (or YOL1), I ran their uninstall tool. I have no idea what printer used to be installed on this thing; it was no help in the least.

So I just went into Windows\system32 for BrUSBSIB.sys. BrUSBSLB.sys unfortunately was in the \DriverStore\FileRepository\. Can't delete/rename that. Right. PowerShell!

pnputil /delete-driver oem86.inf

That failed too of course. So, Device Manager, show hidden devices, and devices by driver. I got rid of BrUSBSIB.sys; but again, not BrUSBSLB.sys.

Then it was time for a fratricidal rampage: 31, 37, 69, 132. Still have 10, 188, 189 print-drivers. Can't delete... so, screw you three:

pnputil /delete-driver oem189.inf /force

That did the job, coupled with simply renaming the thing in Windows\system32. Worst brother since Chet in Weird Science. Cold day in Gehenna before I buy any Brother hardware, I promise. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment