Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The room-temperature liquid-state battery

University of Texas announces the liquid-state battery at 20 C. I've been looking at solid-state here, with an eye to moving vehicles.

Inasmuch as I care about a continual-motion vehicle, energy capacity is my king. Secondarily I've been made aware of solid-state degradation. But I figure that everything falls to entropy in the end. Also liquid-metal doesn't have the capacity pound-for-pound, and (reading between the lines here) I doubt it ever will.

My side-interest is Venus. I'm not flying the planes all the time. As I've used the air-flight checks as my model; I also swap out dying cells in our batteries, on a schedulable basis.

What liquid-state buys me, is less degradation. I won't use liquid-state in my aeroplanes but I might find its place in my aerostats; few of these are going to dip below 25 C at night. I could use liquid-state also on the Venerean surface where, of course, the ambience is already quite warm enough such I won't need to fork out for the gallium. But I'm assuming Venus for my clearinghouse for the asteroid trade anyway, so gallium-at-Venus might not be as expensive in future as it is now. Also in orbit: heat needs radiating away elsewhere, but not for the battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment