Sunday, January 3, 2021

Beyond the blue event horizon

Our part of this Colorado county is shifting back to Orange tomorrow, which I classify as not-a-lockdown, although I have every expectation that B.1.1.1.7 will toss us back to Red. At least I have books. Up now: Janna Levin's Black Hole Survival Guide. Come rally 'round the red, gold, black and ... blue!

It is a quick read, for me, because I know most of this already. I did linger on its notion that an event-horizon, which is the border between their space and ours, is not the singularity. The book also pointed out that the supermassive black holes can be entered safely.

Naturally I got to thinking, what if you approached the Horizon really fast on a tangent. Once in there (the outside universe now being beyond dead) you should be in a spiral into the centre. You don't have the delta-V to get out again. Penrose done Cosmicly Censored yo' butt. But you might be able to correct your spiral into an orbit. Mind the relativistic rain from outside.

MIT in 2011 posted Vyacheslav I. Dokuchaev to that effect. He constrains that in the outer shell of the black hole, you are not getting an orbit. The radial dimension becomes time-like, rather than space-like, they say, whatever the hell THAT means. I'll take their word for it that this was "well known" to everyone but me. There is however a shell beneath, the "inner Cauchy horizon". This has something like spacetime again. Dokuchaev says if you swing a noninclined orbit, you can stay here.

Inside a supermassive hole's Cauchy, like what's in galactic centres, there may be room for entire planets, fed by the energy from the singularity. I must register my doubt how basic chemistry will work in that outer shell before you even get in there. I am pretty sure that we mere mortals are screwed. So are planets.

If Dokuchaev holds up then Pohl was right about the Heechee... just debatable about having the Heechee talk back. The Heechee must teleport into the hole because, as noted, once you've gotten into there, the outside universe is beyond dead, so no non-fictional race could get in there and, thence, affect a real-world novel's plot. But the whole Heechee saga had degenerated into a fairy unicorn godmother story the moment Gateway allowed FTL. So why not.

I should note that inner-Cauchy mathematics - I won't pollute this theology with the word "physics" - are very hot in Google Scholar. The mathematicians seem mostly to be bickering over Penrose The Censor, looking particularly at the Bañados-Teitelboim-Zanelli holes. Suppose I let them have their fun. I remain unsure we need to be funding their fun with taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment