Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Artificial Intelligence art

When I attempted self-publishing, I didn't have money so didn't hire an artist. I also did not steal my art. The art I used in my pages was on the level of scholarly fairuse quotation; my cover art - the monetisable art - was 19th-century Orientalist. I felt guilty enough to credit everything. Including the fonts. Including the software.

We now inhabit a world wherein people who are not artists can charge cash for doing art which artificial-intelligence "AI" can extrapolate from other artists' body of work. I suppose, like how I'd used art-progs to colour in Throne of Glass - but more so. This means pace @BigPapaFox2 that I do not expect the Macaca Precedent to hold out forever.

Winchell "Nyrath" Chung, a fan of golden-age-SF, and a supporter of modern artists, has been raising several flags here. Most artists he's been linking, I'll disclose; I'd not consider for myself, anytime soon. But. For my readers I'll put it this way - if you enjoy what Jinjerzilla does, and you thought Tay was #based; then what if some jerkoff did a lot of Jinjerzilla pastiche and sold that. Or: StoneToss. Or Day-By-Day. Old-school B.C.?

Having hung around Nyrath's Twitter, I predict that guy would laugh and laugh. Ah but I am not finished yet! - Frank Miller, Bill Willingham. Can we get a Mark Millar? Yes yes, they were writers, not doing the art. But visual artists worked for these Problematic graphic-novelists. Someone's ox is going to get gored.

Here at the Baghestan, we like to think we be more principled.

If you choose to steal art, I suggest stealing as I've stolen it: from the artist's grave. That is - take the stuff you find in the most-ancient book covers and comics you can find, before the copyright hits. Then send ChatGPT thataway. Don't rob artists as are still alive; whether they be taking commission currently, or no.

I have a faint feeling that our artists squealing the loudest against AI Art, because PLAGIARISM; might not accept these terms. (Good chance is that the modern artists are using AI as "aids" right now, anyway; like the Orientalists took photographs in Algiers, went home, and used that as a basis.) THIS JUST IN 12/23: ChatGPT has been chained. @EMostaque meanwhile looks like he's converted to Christianity (as Razib has defined it) so will be not-poasting until the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment