Wednesday, December 28, 2022

AVX2 and beyond

Leafing around Metacritic - on account of a Steam sale - I stumbled upon the Uncharted port for PC. Yikes!

That stuff I was talking about, about vectors? If you want this game on PC you need The Haswell New Instructions to get those vectors. The instructions were new back in 2013; I'd just taken this for granted by now.

I'd not counted on my fellow Uncharted fans. These guys are even less new - shall we say, more /vr/ than /v/. The whole Uncharted series started as a PS3 showcase, in the late 2000s. So these fans're on laptops and PCs like... well, like this old thing I'm poasting from. I wouldn't dream of downloading a post-2010 game onto this throwaway. Maybe not post 2000.

Honestly this looks like a point-of-sale issue. It should be okay to tell downloaders that: yo, your rig cain't touch dis. Then they don't waste their money; or if they do, they waste it on a 2019+ machine, first (like I guess my family did).

No comments:

Post a Comment