Monday, December 19, 2022

Late to the party

I had some giftcard at Amazon and I'd been meaning to buy some, you know, books with it; but it took until the Advent season before I thought of using any of it. One was Shoemaker's Creating the Qur'an; another was Spencer's Critical Qur'an. Both with hamza which, van Putten and al-Jallad will tell us, we shouldn't do, unless we're 'Abbasis.

Spencer (discounted) will arrive maybe New Year. Shoemaker showed up here last week and I have read five chapters so far. Meanwhile Shoemaker has offered the book, um, free. I'd downloaded this 5 November but, I dunno, why not slip $35 his way; at least I get something I can drag to a bar or to a restaurant or just on a walk. I'll keep the pdf for this computer - such are better for word-search than are indices; always a pain to compile, to edit - and, for the reader, to use.

By waiting this long (by accident) I did get a discount for Spencer's work. And at least I am getting these books, which I wouldn't be getting for Ibn Warraq banned by Bezos.

Before an Amazon review, assuming I do one, I'll comment on specific aspects tonight and on following nights. DONE 12/27

No comments:

Post a Comment