Friday, February 4, 2022

For the sake of our redemption

When I read the credal paraphrase in Memra XIV, I found gmar(un) mdabranuta da-hlap purqanan. To my eyes mdabranuta and purqan mean the same. On the rule that -uta is the -ism reflex, so should be more abstract: I went with accomplished salvation for the sake of our redemption. Which pained me to do it because our Creed in English has "for the sake of our salvation". I have been worrying I'd cooked up another hat for me to eat.

I was relieved upon reading Mar-Emmanuel that he understands purqan even more forcefully: as Hudson does, in terms of jubilee. Although when M-E translated that part of Memra XIV, for mdabranuta he went even more abstract with "divine economy".

Today I looked up the Creed Of The 318 at Nicaea: τὸν δι' ἡμᾶς τοὺς ἀνθρώπους καὶ διὰ τὴν ἡμετέραν σωτηρίαν κατελθόντα. For this post's purpose, the keyword - σωτηρίαν - hasn't changed. The Occidental creed as of our day has added only "from heaven", redundantly. Interestingly Latin propter nostram salútem isn't salvationem; here I get a less-abstract vibe of French salut: "safety", "good health", "wellbeing". How... Asclepian.

I do hope I am not engaging in a haeresis of mine own when I suggest that although the Oriental 'Êdta has not translated Greek Sotería, its "redemption" is a better take on the Evangelists' promises from Isaiah than what we recite from The 318. Christ came amongst the sons of man to forgive us our debts. I hasten to affirm Ignatius, that Christ acts as our Physician also, as the former wrote to the Ephesians (ch. 7). But the medicine of Sotería we receive at the altar is only part of Christ's mission, and not the greatest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment