Saturday, February 19, 2022

Isho'yahb to Arbela

[ed. bishop Isho'yahb future Isho'yahb III, letter 50]

To my God-loving brothers, dear John qshîsha and archdeacon, and to Te'i first of the faithful, of Arbela, and to all who have written to me with them: Ishoyahb salutes in the name of our Lord.

I have received and read what you wrote to me; and for your solicitude on the quest for virtue and on the demonstration of your love for my vileness, I have thanked our Lord. But the conscience of my vileness does not match with these things which you deem as convenience. For by what opinion, if any one appreciates the matter, will he find that such a change of course is useful at this time? Or hope for spiritual advantages, or by the desire for a better life of the body and of the things which adorn men's way of life by lot, to encourage someone to convert their own mores? In adoring the Lord I confess grace, because I enjoy these things here in moderation, nor did divine providence permit my vileness to be endangered by the hope of our ancestors' temporal goods, which are in other noted places.

When someone's works are abundant, long lines of care and control, good and varied customs acquired with difficulty and the state of the perpetual war between the heretics and hanpe, at the same time the fruit which is received from them for the benefit of the spiritual life, with other things which pertain to them in beautiful ways, let him leave and go to begin less, that, I think, he is not the wisest man. For vain fame profits a man nothing {Qoh. 1:3}. Therefore it is meet that whoever has been called abide wherein he was called; to take care of only those things which please the Lord, is enough. But if you ask me for advice to help with your well-being, I can offer to you who is fit for the ministry of your church and for the management of your community, with God's permission. For there are, by the grace of God, some who agree to this thing, albeit very few. The Lord knows who they are and will visit His church kindly through a suitable bishop, and through the gift of His aid which he grants to us all. Take care therefore of your usual ministry, beloved brothers, and turn the vows of your hope to the mercy of God. Turn yourselves back to God who in his benevolence will watch over you in all things. He will guard you from all harm and the mercy of his grace will fill your want. Pray for my lowness that I may spend the rest of my days in such a life as is pleasing to the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment