Monday, February 28, 2022

Isho'yahb to Cyriacos

[Ishoʿyahb of Nineveh to Metropolitan Cyriacos of Nisibis, letter #42]

Better, O Father, is a small peace in the church of God, for a good man than other good men, if it succeeds. Better for the church of God, by the multitude of other auxiliaries, a small concord among the priests of God, even if a little one, when he is well moved by charity. For through it, that is, through the prosperity of the Church, the confirmation of the worldly works is administered by the works of God's mercy. But through this, that is, through priestly concord, the confirmation of the glory of God is rendered distinguished by the praise of diligent tongues; God, who is said to be the charity of the Spirit by all men, and especially by the Scriptures. I do not know with what wings, as it were, flying swiftly through the clouds, and dragging the searchers uninjured, by the force of his sweetness; Others, however, who were tried by adverse circumstances, having made their petitions in vain, turned them to extraordinary hope, and found a good measure of help for their desire, namely, the commendable familiarity of my lowliness with your Paternity, which God has established so great a familiarity with the help of charity of your perfect wisdom.

Therefore, before many others who are likely to come, if they had already experienced the success of my low status at your Paternity, the small sons of your fatherhood were preceded by me enjoying your charity and those who gently pasture the extremities of the desert, and rest near the mild waters of paradise, flowing down from that fountain which proceeds toward Assyria. He very often succeeds happily on their side; for once upon a time the metropolis, which is today ruled by the solicitude of your fatherhood, gave [to Balad] a famous curator, who was the admirable Paul, suasor of kings and illustrious for the truth of the word; now again, a little before and today, even before our eyes, she [Balad] has sent a distinguished embellishment to the royal city and patriarchal seat [Ishoʿyahb II], whose virtues even foreigners are compelled to proclaim in praise.

Those who happened, as I have said, to be so lucky, have now turned their thoughts toward a common friend, our honored brother Maruzan, the bishop, and begged that he should be temporarily appointed over them. But when their hope had not advanced into easy preparation, they languished in cowardice, and were pained. But when they had gained hope — and what they had gained was near — it was reported to me that I could do this on account of the eagerness of the charity of your fatherhood toward me; Overcome with the fervor of my mind and confident in the attitude of your Paternity toward me, I gratefully accepted the task to be approached with a son's conscience, to persude your Paternity as far as I can, but not as much as it should be. For it were fitting for me to stand before you on this account, and to do whatever the matter might require; but I cannot, as it is well known. I can only offer you a letter within sight as time allows.

Therefore, please, please, honor your love, Father, please fill in the petition of your sons in good conscience. Give also a rest to my ignominy, lest I say it, praise me on this subject; which thing you cannot resist in any way, for it is beautiful and praiseworthy in the sight of all. The divine levy went before the human levy. What could we add on our own? But if there is anything divine in pain, as the physicians say, or the works are subject to human care, it is easy, I think, to hold both. For if in a good conscience your Paternity refuses the meaning of this sort, because that person has obtained the honor of an undesirable person, and it is not fitting that it should be diminished in a vile place"; rather, it increases as long as it desires less; nor does he diminish the gift of the claimed donor; but when he increases it, while he listens to his prayers before prayer. Again, it is also most worthy of the honor of your fatherhood that sons should be fathers for you, and that the metropolis of others be ordained among your small disciples.

But if, not on account of this, but on account of the impassibility of the person, the reason for not arguing for the reason of not assenting, for it must necessarily be reckoned one of two things, how could we be persuaded of this in many peoples and famous states, where the testimony of the usefulness of a man is proclaimed in many languages? I will also say this: even if that man did not enjoy so great a prowess, which is preached by all his family members, but was otherwise held by God, yet he is considered attractive by men, so much so that he is said to be fit by all his family members; when it is not manifest to men; nor is it easy, I think, for all men to conceive such a false opinion of a man of whose integrity they have already received testimony from many proofs. But if again, this refusal of the consent of your fatherhood regards not all such deficiencies but of course common to us all as an obstacle to this ordinance, but which of us will escape the danger? Who can say: "My heart is clean and I am pure from sin"? Or whose confidence does not secretly crush the conscience of his sins? I indeed think sincerely of myself that I am worthy of neither heaven nor earth, and never wash my hands unconditionally when I go about the altar of the Lord. Now I also confess myself unworthy of the divine mercy; I am a wretched man, prostrated by passions. But the benevolence of God bears me much. But the church of God also looks at me with a merciful eye. But neither do honorable men nor those of the divine despise my vileness. For indeed every wise intellect knows how to endure other people's weaknesses rather than their own. Thus it is our interest to live in such a way with others and with respect to the church of God.

I think, honored Father, when you have been able to get to know more important things from these, and even more so, you will be instructed by those who have learned the subject. It is not, however, fair or superior, to change the opinion of scandal by force of speech. For how could he not be changed, and especially from the swift tongues? They would soon call the business itself by a horrendous name, namely envy, and would trouble both you and us and the whole mind of the community. Perhaps the scandal might even fall outside the pastures of the church. Who could live, or who would not be compelled to make a daily excuse, if he possessed the conscience which is shaken by the reproach?

Of course, Father, I'll find grace in your sight. Receive with your father's conscience the speech of my lowliness, and by the strength of your wisdom make the extraordinary accomplishment of your urgent business. The gentle desire of your beautiful children. Take care of your small flock in an instant. To impart also the glory of my humbleness to the acceptance of my speech, so that in future events I may gain trust in the intimacy of today, and full of confidence, and with the help of God, I may help others also with the help of your Fatherhood, and may increase the honor of your Fatherhood among others and before many who will be in that present moment. For he, to whom the care of two metropolis has been twice entrusted, can guide this small and peaceful diocese by the grace of God and the help of your Fatherhood completely and without offense; they desire good for the sake of religion, and grow to the glory of God; who by his mercy render the honor of your Fatherhood distinguished in his church throughout all the days of your life, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment