Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Isho'yahb to John the Priest

[Isho'yahb of Nineveh to his honored beloved Mar John the priest, epistle #33]

One from the beauty of the physical is logic, one from the beauty of the logical is wisdom, one from the beauty of the wise is charity; and the three [proceed] from the gift of divine grace: the first by nature, the second by an institution, and the third by the spiritual law. For this reason he who is brilliantly perfected in that [charity] will be turned in perfect virtue. It is good for him as well who will enjoy this extraordinary selection. When I am held however I am held, the selection has followed the perfection of the selected every time even as it is now. For I have received with a joyous breath that the greeting of your Charity was brought by brother Sergius the teacher, and you have delighted me with the news of your health, as it should; although not by letter, as is fitting. Gladly I thanked the Lord. So may it please you that you do for me at all times what is in keeping with your enthusiasm in me, that you are not embarrassed to pray for me, that perhaps I may spend the rest of my days in life pleasing to the will of God. Farewell, and excel in the love that is your most remarkable possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment