Monday, February 14, 2022

Isho'yahb to Izla

[ed. bishop Isho'yahb future Isho'yahb III, letter 51]

To Mar Habiba, Mar Dazonwai, Mar Narsai, Mar Maremmeh and those who wrote to me - I received and read what you wrote to me, and I thanked our Lord for your health.

If I were to tell you what was said {2 Kings 5:11} "I said, he will come out to me, and standing call on the name of the Lord and touch his hand over the place, and cure the leprous plague" What would you say to me? As his servants spoke to him? {cf. v. 13} Or how would you convince me of the littleness of my faith? As Naaman, by a prophet miracle? For the type of my business be in need of both the proof of logical thoughts and by a similar miracle. If you take this as a miracle - thanks to our Lord for his munificence. But if, according to the corporal thoughts of my self and my peers, you have not yet reached a place of consensus, how much more did you not foresee the exact manner of proposed things. For afar, as we define, when we peer upon the face of a thing only, it is so simple. Therefore there are also many who give those counsels which you gave who, when they shall come forward to deal with the proposals, they contain themselves without argument within words, saying only "It seems to be fitting", that is whatever it seems to you too.

Grant, therefore, whether it be a matter, o blessed ones, or a miracle, like Elisha, or prayers for him like the sumpathikoi, if you restrain yourself from discussing with me nearby any trace of your concern. Separate and consecrate your mind to the Lord, that the response to your petition may be immediately attributed to my vileness, as it pleases the will of our Lord; and that if He desires this by grace, He may lead my weakness without disturbance, without scandal, and without sin - so that for the rest of my life I be saved by this my weakness in the world, and I will at any time do every act which is pleasing to his will.

No comments:

Post a Comment