Friday, February 18, 2022

Isho'yahb on Marammeh's promotion

[ed. bishop Isho'yahb future Isho'yahb III, letter 52]

to my father Mar Gabriel metropolitan, and to my dear and beloved brother bishop Mar Hormizd, and - if as you wrote to me be he the prospective bishop of Bēt Lapaṭ - to him who for me is still our venerable brother Mar Maremmeh: your brother Isho'yahb, in the name of God greeting.

When I saw the strange sign of the message which you wrote to me, blessed men, concerning the things which have happened, I was truly amazed; and on account of the rapidity of the change, I could not even believe such a thing were possible. But when I opened it, and read the account written to me, I was greatly induced to be surprised; first of all why a pious man [Maremmeh], whom I had sent a little while ago as my intercessor to the Universal Father (the Catholicos), I should find firstly of the group of my astonishments now at the beginning of the letter, and that one, when he held the original order with you - that is, with people who know my transgression, my stubbornness, and the other foolish customs of my simplicity; and secondly, on whom your judgement rests, it is surprising, upon a man [Maremmeh], of whose proof you had not received even a report, suddenly and as if before greeting you have set the command of the Lord's armies; and you cast him at a distance to the lower limits, as if by that wind which is called typhonikos euroklydon; and thirdly by what force of necessity that humble man has strengthened himself, that he might descend without delay into a storm of this sort standing in faithful obedience.

I have wondered at these many things, pious Fathers, but I have also greatly feared and respected them. I did not even dare to accuse him; but it was difficult for me to praise. However, if you say that the idea came from me and that you were affirmed in my confidence, when you accomplished this why did you not take me with you, whom you believed to be such? It was for me a chance, as it is now, of presenting before you the many pros and cons about this which I naturally knew better. It is also important for all to know here among the Assyrians and their neighboring peoples the excellence of their works of charity and the pure mind: which is founded on theological disciplines, praised, and respected, he who is adorned with a humble disposition, is honored, and benefited by meekness, pleasantness, and humility of judgment. Thanks to the Lord, who these things has granted to His servant above-mentioned. Above all among 'Elam "a pragmatic people", such virtues are not valued but it is fit, so to speak, a man is required... [DUVAL: here something is missing] ... and other things similar to these, by which perhaps, as you have approved, the above-mentioned man lacks, except that he is unconnected with the practice or encounter of this sort. But if anyone says that "the work of God is sufficient for the work of God", of course I will say it myself. But they need the times and temporal things. However, if we despise this in the mind of the believer, all things can be done to him who believes, as it is written, because it is the work of the Lord.

But you [Maremmeh], who were overcome by excessive obedience, failing to comply with your vigilance, could not wait but a little while, not even until I had arrived. How have you been defeated before you get there? But I had sent you that you persuade for me, and that you would bring our Father (the Catholicos) whither I had warned you; this because I was hindered from going myself by the bonds of necessity, as you also know. You then forgot these orders. Not only did you not lead our Father to me but even you, I think, have departed from me forever. May it not be so, blessedly, not so; but may you visit me by all means before your journey. Take heed lest in your hope you be weak, and the sadness of your affairs push and turn you away from my criticisms to pusillanimity; but rise up in the hope of the Lord's help and stretch your obedient shoulder to the sweet yoke of Christ. When you will receive it bowed down, worry not about its weight, because it is sweet and light as you read before; and He loves to perfect the disabled, and if He finds a beautiful nature He adorns his work abundantly. Best of all, then, since you are willing to accept Him on both accounts, he will cultivate the estate of his church through you according to His beautiful will so that, in the honor and virtue of His name, your lamp may shine in Elam, and the sheep of the Lord may delight in the salt of your sweetness; may all the work of your ministry be shared in glory, may the soul of our Father rest in you and for your sake may it give thanks to our Lord.

The rest of you, blessed delights of my soul [Mar Gabriel and Hormizd], have accused me - or rather you have persuaded me to come - believe and be assured that my will has been conquered till now by adversities which have now become slightly smaller. I find the necessities thither by no means great, especially because I have also heard that our blessed Father [the Catholicos] is preparing to set out here [Beth Garmai]. When this should happen, I have the advice that I visit you [in Kirkuk] with him; but if it goes otherwise, that is if we be dragged into a delay by the necessities of further affairs, write to me as is proper, and when I have the opportunity of traveling anywhere, I will visit you soon. Pray for me, that I may be worthy of the mercy of God, and that I may see you in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment