Saturday, February 12, 2022

Ishoyahb prostrates himself

[ed. bishop Isho'yahb future Isho'yahb III, letter 15]

To our most holy and devout Catholic patriarch Mar Isoyahb, Isoyahb: in our Lord, greeting.

It is sufficiently, I think, established in what has already been considered to be typical of my absence of mind in the events which have occurred, and why not against sense the end is placed in the point of doubt. Also that the end which was foreseen was defined by some anguish; is a matter obvious to many. But I was discovered to be a liar, it seems to me; in this case you would voice, and not only the opposite sense, but also begat a contradictory change of mind. Truly I, after many days past, taking the model of my patience, up to the point of necessity, had remained there in hope.

When I was forced to leave, I left a demonstration of my deeds in a letter, to be expounded before the persona of your fatherhood, and in this monastery; whilst remaining in the hall of the Kokhe church to hear what God would order via the mouth of your Pietas, I am employing obviously the same penance before your feet as evidence of my mental anguish.

Take care, then, oh chaste one, that when you have completed the work which suits you for the glory of God, let me go as the dear son to be quieter, that you share extraordinary joy to all who fear God in whatever place. Which zeal for the truth of course fits and suits you more than others', as many reasons proclaim, which the consciences of many affirm. May the good steward of our goods render prosperous through you the truth of His doctrine for the glory of the community, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment